Philip Scott

Hacker, Cofounder, and Student
CEO and founder of Tutturu: https://tutturu.tv I love building products people <3 If you're technical, here's my Github: https://github.com/ScottyFillups
Lots of games can be built and ran right in your browser these days.

Remember back when you'd buy Microsoft Office? Now you don't Office; you pay an annual subscription.

Steam is a total dinosaur: a centralized game store with one-time purchases? What is this? 2005?

Web games are amazing because:
- People can play your game by just visiting a URL
- Really straightforward to make your game multiplayer (Websockets!)
- You control the server, so you can adopt a SaaS model

Here are a few simple games on the web:
https://krunker.io/ -> Basically a clone of CoD
https://surviv.io/ -> A top-down battle-royale game
https://agar.io/ -> The first "major" multiplayer .io game

Video games are late to the SaaS party, but I think it's going to be big soon.

Thoughts?
Nice topic, Philip ScottΒ 

'How big esports is going to be' validates itself by how huge the prize money these companies have for their tournaments. Right now, I'm noticing the entrance of esports and competitive gaming in India with PUBG. People are choosing esports as a career - which is a big deal, given how less frequent it is in India to take choose alternative careers.

I agree with on web-games being light - no downloads, no taking up memory and RAM. I think even CS came up with a web-version? Or was it someone else copying their style?

The farthest I've gone with creating a game is - creating a scoreboard and logic for a card-game called 'Judgement'. But wish to learn Unity someday. What do you suggest I learn if I want to create something simple but good looking?
Philip Scott replied
  ·  1 reply
Given the audience you're serving you'd be the one to have a unique insight here! What do you think of what Β Moiz Ahmed, Hussain and ThayAllan are building? playnba2k.com/

Philip Scott replied
  ·  1 reply
Question for everyone on the PMF stage: what's your process and workflow for achieving product-market fit?

Example of process (accomplishing a goal): "I measure PMF by sending out surveys to users, then I act based on X, Y Z"

Example of workflow (accomplishing a task): "I send the emails out manually using X tool containing a survey built with Y. When they reply, I manually send them a customized email asking for an interview"

Just curious how you tackle this problem: would be nice if somebody made this process easier for you πŸ‘€
Yes everyone hates Zendesk and Intercom is a small fortune. Huge opportunity for a Zendesk 2.0 that integrates some of the key product frameworks used to grow
Workflow I've used before:

1. email in Customer.io sent to all customers after an engagement period
  2. typeform survey (built on the superhuman survey)
  3. all responses sent to a google sheet, send responses to customer profile in CRMΒ 
  4. ping us in slack for high PMF customers
  5. follow up with high PMF customers manually

Based on the superhuman framework, you only really want to talk to the users who would be really upset if they could no longer use the product. We used the hidden field in typform to store their User ID, and customer.io to dynamically insert it in the link so we could be notified of the cases of high PMF users. Β 

This process ran itself mostly, pinging us in slack when there was a user to interview. To my knowledge, there's no email tool that has surveys built into it (or vice versa), so you're going to be using multiple tools regardless.Β 

whatever tools you use, I'd try to make sure that you can send them after a period of use. we were a B2B eCommerce marketplace so we wanted to make sure our customers had made a few orders before we sent the survey. for us this was after two weeks of first order.
Philip Scott replied
  ·  1 reply
Hi all,

How should I go about choosing which customers to interview?

A few bits of info:
- We have about 2300 active subscribers
- I can see how much they've used the site (in browsing hours)
- I can see how long they've been subscribed for

I see a few options in terms of picking power users:
- Reach out to the top X users by usage time
- Reach out to the top X users by subscription age
- Reach out based on weekly survey results

I recently watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT4Ig2uqjTc. The weekly surveys with the 40% > of "very disappointed" hinting at PMF is pretty neat. It's something I want to try out!

How many customer interviews should I strive for each week, given a customer interview is ~15 minutes long?
Hmm, usage time is always so tricky and it really depends on the product that you've shipped. What does increased usage in terms of timing mean to you? Does it mean that there is product flaws that are keeping users on the app longer than they should be or does it mean the longer they are using the product the more utility they are getting from it?

A good free resource I've used when learning about usage was "Ship It" by Product School.

https://productschool.com/ship-it-book/
James Skylor replied
  ·  2 replies
Hey Philip great question!

Check out this article for a super in depth, methodical answer to your question, everything Eric is saying in that YC video is learnt from this framework.

This plays on what we talked about during office hours:

For your customer surveys ask these four questions:
1) How would you feel if you could no longer use Tutturu?
A) Very disappointed B) Somewhat disappointed C) Not disappointed
Your superfans are the users who would be β€œvery disappointed” if your product went away. This is the 40% benchmark that Eric is talking about in the YC video.
2. What type of person do you think would most benefit from using this product?
When you segment this response to just your superfans / the users that said very disappointed in question 1, you learn how they describe themselves, in their own words. It gives you a clear persona to build for and market towards.
3. What is the main benefit you receive from this product?
When you segment this response to just your superfans, you reveal your product marketing. After all, it’s how they would pitch your products to people like them. You can adjust and A/B test your copy using Google Optimize and see if this user generated wording better resonates.
4. How can we improve this product for you?
When you segment this response to just your superfans, you learn what you should fix and double down on to win them over even more.

Basically once you send out a customer survey you can start segmenting your users into super fans, casual fans and non-fans.
Super fans are those who would be very disappointed if your product went away. You want to speak with the people who love you to see why they love you, what words they use to describe you, how you can find more people like them and how you can better serve them so that they stay with you forever.
Casual fans are those who would be somewhat disappointed if your product went away. You want to speak with these people who are on the fence about you as in if another Rabbit clone that was serviceable popped up for $4/mo instead of $5/mo they'd leave you in a heartbeat. Try to understand what is frustrating them and try bringing them to your 'aha moment' and save them before they churn.Β 
Your non-fans are those who would be not disappointed if your product went away. While you may be curious about their suggestions, politely ignore their feedback in building your roadmap. They are so far from loving you that they are essentially a lost cause.
There isn't a golden rule on how many customer interviews you should strive for each week. I would say spend more time talking to your super fans before your casual fans initially so you'll have a better idea on how to convert the casual fans. I would try to do as many as possible! Lots of people will cancel or not take the call so you should be able to knock off everyone who answers your first survey in a week or two! Considering how many free + paid users you have you or your co-founder Amby should aim to be doing at least 10 customer interviews per week. But do way more the first time you send out the survey.
Brent Jensen replied
  ·  3 replies
Hi everyone, I'm Philip! I'm a co-founder of Tutturu, a group browsing platform for watch parties! πŸŽ₯

Easiest way to reach out is to ping me on Discord (Scotty#1337); feel free to do so any time!
Thanks Philip! πŸ‘Β  Excited to watch Tutturu grow
I read your post about your app Tutturu. I had some idea of making some apps and I created an app called "pay_due" and I also have other apps like "Purpose"and Mitr. I am having lots of problem managing the apps and keep them running. If you're interested then let me know.Β