Akhil Draksharapu

CEO & Cofounder @ LIOCHOICE PVT LTD
I'm an Aspiring Entrepreneur and I'm on a journey to either find a WAY or either make ONE into the Startup world.
Hello everyone, hope all is well with you amid the crisis.

My Pitch Deck for my Healthcare Startup is ready, and I would like to send it to potential Investors, So I need some insights and your wise knowledge and experiences on this. Β 

Other tiny questions:
  1. Advisable to reach via Twitter?
  2. Can I ask an investor to connect me to another investor? the 2nd one is into my industry?
  3. Should I include the "Notes" for each slide in the Presentation?

Thanks πŸ™‚
Hey Akhil, I just left a VC firm in SF so can definitely help you out if you want to share your deck. The biggest thing with your startup that investors will want to see is traction or validation of some kind and make sure you personalize each email or twitter DM.Β 
I.e. the structure should follow something along the lines of:
Hello, personalized respect for a company they invested in and helped grow, how you're similar to that company and what traction you have thus far, link to pitch deck.Β 

To answer your mini questions:

1. I would use twitter search to find customers in your niche and comment there how you can help. You can also scour VC twitter and comment on what you're doing / something tangible in a thread that is applicable. Use twitter to engage with VCs, don't spam.

2. Yes after your meeting with an angel or VC referrals are key. Something like β€œGlad you’re pumped… any thoughts on who else I should meet with?" works well.Β 

3. Ideally your slide deck should be super easy to consume and understand. Always source your data. Only include notes when clarification or proof of math/source is needed.Β 

Your goal should be to get on a quick 5-20 min Zoom call where you pitch the company. At the end of every meeting, get a clear understanding of where they stand on your deal opportunity. Shoot for getting an amount they would be interested in investing. You won’t usually get a commitment on the first meeting but do not accept vagueness. Get a clear idea of where they stand, and what next steps might be to move them through the pipeline. Hypotheticals are also useful: When I lock on my lead investor, how much would you be interested in investing? Then expand potential angel network through referrals with something like the β€œGlad you’re pumped… any thoughts on who else I should meet with?” 
mentioned earlier.

If you or anyone is interested in diving deeper on this topic here is 99% of what you would ever need to know for pre-seed/seed:
πŸ–₯️ How to Raise Money by Marc Andreessen, Ron Conway and Parker Conrad
πŸ–₯️ How to raise money from angel investors by Jason Calacanis
πŸ–₯️ How to negotiate a term sheet by Jason Calacanis
πŸ–₯️ Understanding SAFEs and Priced Equity Rounds by Kirsty Nathoo
πŸ–₯️ How to Get Meetings with Investors and Raise Money by Aaron Harris
πŸ–₯️ Fundraising Fundamen
tals By Geoff Ralston
πŸ“• A Guide to Seed Fundraising by Geoff Ralston
πŸ“• How to Raise Money by Paul Graham
πŸ“• How to convince investors by Paul Graham
πŸ–₯️ Investor Meeting Role Playi
ng by Kevin Hale and Qasar Younis
πŸ–₯️ Investor Meeting Role Playing by Sam Altman & Yuri Sagalov
πŸ–₯️ Investor Meeting Role Pla
ying by Adora Cheung & Avichal Garg
Akhil Draksharapu replied
  ·  3 replies
Akhil Draksharapu to comment on the slides:
Here's a template you may want to use (update with your branding / design):Β https://www.ycombinator.com/library/2u-how-to-build-your-seed-round-pitch-deck

Problem slide is good and easy to understand.
Solution slide is way too broad. State exactly what you do otherwise they'll think you're just full of talk and not doing anything. All VCs would exit your deck and immediately write you off after reading that solution slide as it sounds like total BS. State specifics that you have / done.
Market size slide make sure you illustrate just the Indian market or whatever specific vertical within the broader healthcare market that you're working within. Obviously the market is large. Teach me something about the specific market you're working in.
All the other slides play on the same theme of too broad with no specifics and make it seem like a scam / BS deal. Also a $15m Seed is unheard of even in Silicon Valley! That's an A not a seed. This must be $15m Indian Rupees??
You need to eliminate all the broad theory talk and showcase what you have actually done, why you need capital and what you can do with that capital.Β 

Akhil Draksharapu replied
  ·  4 replies